Avi Kivity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Gregory Haskins wrote:
>> Avi Kivity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> Managing userspace in subversion and the kernel in git is proving to be
>>> quite a pain.  Branches have to be maintained in parallel, tagging is
>>> awkward, and bisection is fairly impossible.
>>>
>>> What do people think about putting libkvm and qemu into the usr
>>> directory of the kernel repo?  It's slightly wierd but will make life
>>> generally easier.
>>>

>> That does sounds a little weird, though I know what you mean about managing
> the two disparate repos.  I think having one repo makes sense, but I dont
> know if putting that in the kernel tree is the right direction.  Is there
> another way?  For instance, go back to using /kernel, /libkvm, and /qemu from
> SVN and submitting patches/drops to the kernel tree.  I am not advocating SVN
> over GIT either...the new unified repo could be whatever.  I think the most
> important thing is having it in one place.
>>

> With the paravirt stuff we are placing things all over the kernel, and
> tighter integration with the scheduler and mm infrastructure will make
> having a kernel/ directory impossible.

Thats a good point.  Note that having things sprinkled all over the kernel
verses contained in one place (e.g. /drivers/kvm) doesnt preclude this model
that I suggested per se.  But perhaps that is too messy to deal with.  I think
getting them in one repo is more important than which repo.  So if you can make
the integration with the kernel tree work from a political standpoint, I'd say
go for it.

-Greg