On Thursday 05 April 2007, Dor Laor wrote:
> Currently the only memory-over-commit mechanism is the balloon.
> In the future we will add all the wise spectrum of host demand pages,
> shared pages, etc.

Ok, just as another hint: you should definitely take a look at
pfault_interrupt() in arch/s390/mm/fault.c, which manages notifications
about host memory manangement, so that the guest can put a task to
sleep that accesses a page on the host block device, instead of suspending
the entire guest, while waiting for the page to come back.

arch/s390/mm/extmem.c has another very interesting concept, though the
hcall interfaces used there are not as flexible as they should be in
kvm. It's basically about mapping host files into the guest real address
space, e.g. for shared memory between guests.

        Arnd <><