on Thu Apr 12 2007, Avi Kivity <avi-atKUWr5tajBWk0Htik3J/w-AT-public.gmane.org>
wrote:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>> on Thu Apr 12 2007, Avi Kivity
>> <avi-atKUWr5tajBWk0Htik3J/w-AT-public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>

>>> There is a workaround:
>>>
>>> My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> [Whatever's
>>> under
>>> Computer, unless it's "Standard PC"] -> Properties -> Update Driver ->
>>> Not at this time -> Next -> Install
>>> from a list -> Next -> Don't search -> Next -> Standard PC -> Next.
>>>
>>> "Standard PC" is the noacpi HAL.
>>>

>> OK, tried that.  The first reboot hung early in the process, with
>> Windows' bootup progress indicator doing nothing.  I better start
>> backing up my VM!
>>

> That's worrying.
>
>> A subsequent reboot went much faster.  Wow, the virtual machine really
>> blazes now!  Wish I'd known about that earlier, thanks!
>>

> Looks like something the wiki wants to know about too.

Seems like it's already there:
http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki/Windows_ACPI_Workaround

It doesn't seem all that easy to find some things on the wiki.  I wish
I knew what to suggest that would improve things, but I don't.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

Don't Miss BoostCon 2007! ==> http://www.boostcon.com