Gregory Haskins wrote:
>> While KVM will inevitably start requiring newer kernel versions, do we
>> really need to do it right now?  Perhaps we could add dummy eventfd_*
>> functions to the module compat header?  Then at least older kernels will
>> continue to work with in- kernel APIC disabled.
>>

> The plan as Avi and I agreed to (IIUC) is to support eventfd via the
> extern-compat header.  The same could be said for HRT.  I don't thing either
> one will be particularly pleasant to support in this fashion, but this is how
> he wants to do it.  (Recall that I had abstracted the HRT in earlier versions
> which he requested to be removed, so I didnt bother with the eventfd
> interface).  I agree that it will keep the kvm core code cleaner instead of
> having all these custom abstractions, so I see his point there.  I'm just not
> looking forward to the compat work ;)
>
> That being said: Perhaps you just came up with a good compromise.  The code
> is already structured to support both the old way and the new way.  We could
> have the in-kernel modes disabled at compile time on older kernels.  Thats
> probably a much better solution then trying to get HRT and eventfd emulated
> on, say, 2.6.9 ;)
>
> The implication here is that I don't plan on supporting new features via the
> old-way.  For instance, SMP features would only work with in-kernel
> emulation.  If we go down this route, it automatically means that older
> kernels will not have any other related advanced features, not just the
> performance/features currently offered.  Perhaps this is acceptable also?
> I'm not sure.

I don't know.  I'm less concerned about long term implications than I am
with short term ones.  My primary concern was having new versions of KVM
stop working on older kernels.  If SMP requires in-kernel APIC, then
provided that UP kernels still work, if someone is sufficiently
motivated to get SMP working on older kernels, they can implement the
eventfd emulation.