Carsten Otte wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>
>> As a userspace apps service, I'd very much like to see a common sockets
>> interface for inter-VM communication that is portable across virt systems
>> like Xen & KVM. I'd see it as similar to UNIX domain sockets in style. So
>> basically any app which could do UNIX domain sockets, could be ported to
>> inter-VM sockets by just changing PF_UNIX to say,  PF_VIRT
>> Lots of interesting details around impl & security (what VMs are allowed
>> to talk to each other, whether this policy should be controlled by the
>> host, or allow VMs to decide for themselves).
>>
> z/VM, the premium hypervisor on 390 already has this capability for
> decades. This is called IUCV (inter user communication vehicle), where
> user really means virtual machine. It so happens the support for
> AF_IUCV was recently merged to Linux mainline. It may be worth a look,
> either for using it or because learning from existing solutions is
> always a good idea.

Is there anything that explains what the fields in sockaddr mean:

    sa_family_t    siucv_family;
    unsigned short    siucv_port;        /* Reserved */
    unsigned int    siucv_addr;        /* Reserved */
    char        siucv_nodeid[8];    /* Reserved */
    char        siucv_user_id[8];    /* Guest User Id */
    char        siucv_name[8];        /* Application Name */

Regards,

Anthony LIugori