Eric Van Hensbergen wrote:
> On 5/21/07, Anthony Liguori <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> ron minnich wrote:
>> > OK, so what are we doing here? We're using a PCI abstraction, as a
>> > common abstraction,which is not common really, because we don't have a
>> > common abstraction? So we describe all these non-pci resources with a
>> > pci abstraction?
>> >

>> No.  You're confusing PV device discovery with the actual paravirtual
>> transport.
>
> In a PV environment why not just pass an initial cookie/hash/whatever
> as a command-line argument/register/memory-space to the underlying
> kernel?

You can't pass a command line argument to Windows (at least, not easily
AFAIK).  You could get away with an MSR/CPUID flag but then you're
relying on uniqueness which isn't guaranteed.

>   The presence of such a kernel argument would suggest the
> existence of a hypercall interface or other such mechanism to "attach"
> to the initial transport(s).  Command-line arguments may be a bit too
> linux-centric to Ron's taste, but if we are going to chose something
> arbitrary like PCI, I'd prefer we chose something a bit more
> straightforward to interact with instead of doing crazy ritual dances
> to extract what should be straightforward information.  I really don't
> want to have integrate PCI parsing into my testOS/libOS kernels.

You could just hard code a PIC interrupt and rely on some static memory
address for IO and avoid the PCI bus entirely.  The whole point of the
PCI bus is to avoid hardcoding this sort of things but if you don't want
the complexity associated with PCI, then using the "older" mechanisms
seems like the obvious thing to do.