On 5/23/07, Eric Van Hensbergen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 5/23/07, Arnd Bergmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > As a point of clarification, plan9 protocols have been used over
> > > shared memory for resource access on virtualized systems for the past
> > > 3 years. There are certainly ways it can be further optimized, but it
> > > is not a restriction.
> >
> > I think what Carsten means is to have a mmap interface over 9p, not
> > implementing 9p by means of shared memory, which is what I guess
> > you are referring to.
> >
> > If you want to share memory areas between a guest and the host
> > or another guest, you can't do that with the regular Tread/Twrite
> > interface that 9p has on a file.

ugh.  I'm tired.  Its been a long week -- I realized after I fired off
that last message that you mean establishing a shared mapping versus
support for mmap operations over 9p (which devolve into Tread/Twrite).
 Sorry.  Yes -- that's correct, 9p wouldn't necessarily buy you
something like that.  In fact, the current 9p code relies on someone
else providing that basic mechanism in order for us to establish our
shared memory transport.

What Carsten described as his virtual device abstraction sounded like
a good foundation -- just don't make me use ioctl :)

        -eric