>>> On Fri, Jun 1, 2007 at 12:29 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Li,
Xin B" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > I don't think this patch is complete to add NMIP support to KVM
>>
>>Could you be more specific on whats left to be done?  From
>>what I could read in the doc, this seemed complete.
>>

> This is a good start, and we also need to add a vmexit handler to handle
> exit reason 8, NMI pending.

Ah, yes.  Thank you for finding that.

> And the major issue, I think, is how guest uses NMI, although from
> virtualization view, we should not think from that, but we need make
> sure all possible guest NMI usage model works well.

Note that the guest can (and does) use NMI today independent of this patch and
it works fine.  In fact, some version of linux do this on a regular basis (they
map LINT0 to NMI).

This patch only affects whether NMIs are injected using the standard
event-injection (INTR_TYPE_EXT_INTR) technique on vector 2, or using the VNMI
facility (INTR_TYPE_NMI) instead.  My impression is that the guest dispatches
the IRQ-2 to the IDT in the same way in either case.  The only difference is
that VNMI method allows the event to be injected even if RFLAGS.IF is masking
normal interrupts, thus more closely modeling the real world counterpart.

So that being said, if you think there is a problem with injecting NMIs to
guests in general then we have a bigger problem. This patch really only affects
*how* they are delivered, not *if* they are delivered.  The counterpoint to all
this is that I have been testing with plenty of guests that take NMIs and they
seem to be working normally.  Please advise if you think there is a bigger
problem we need to address.

Regards
-Greg