Avi Kivity wrote:
>>> These numbers are pretty bad.  I'd like to improve them, even
>>> without PV.
>>
>> I agree.  Do you know what's missing at this point?  There isn't a
>> whole lot of state saving going on for the light weight exit paths
>> for SVM.
>
> The SVM code doesn't even have a lightweight vmexit path.

Sure it does.  Quite a lot is deferred to vcpu_{load,put}.

> For every vmexit, it does the entire thing, including vmload/vmsave

I haven't had a lot of luck eliminating vmload/vmsave.

> , fpu switch (if needed)

The FPU switch can really be avoided?  Is it safe to assume that the KVM
code isn't going to use any FPU operations?

> , segment reloading, and msr reloading.

Yeah, the VMX path is doing some clever things there.  A fair bit more
could be deferred on SVM.

>   It could use a lot of work.
>
> For kbuild vs. kernbench, I suspect that -j4 causes the shadow page
> table cache to thrash.  1024 pages may be enough for a single instance
> but not -j4.  Hopefully replacing the eviction algorithm (currently
> FIFO) will help.  Otherwise we'll need to resize the cache again.

I naively tried to bump it to 2048 and hit a kmalloc limitation.