Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> Anthony Liguori wrote:
>
>> Except that I wanted to change the hypercall to allow querying of real
>> time or "available" time as VMI puts it.
>>

> I see.  You could have an interface like Xen's runstate interface, which
> gives you a breakdown of how long each vcpu spends in each state
> (running, runnable, paused or blocked).  The sum of all of them gives
> you real time, or you can use a subset to work out stolen time
> (runnable+paused), busyness (blocked / (running+runnable+blocked)), etc.

I'll look at that.  Since the vmca is per-vcpu, that may work well.

>> Right now, I'm relying on the PIT but it would be nice to eliminate
>> that.  I'd like to move to something PV so that I can make use of
>> tickless guest kernels.  I'm very open to suggestion and even more
>> open to reusing other people's code :-)
>>

> A simple hypercall interface which says "raise irq X after N ns" is
> probably the easiest way to go.

That's what I was thinking.  The current bit that makes that ugly is
that you can't really raise an interrupt in the host kernel yet
(although it will be possible when the in-kernel apic code is merged).
I could, in theory, implement that interface in userspace but that may
be ugly.

> Try to avoid the pitfalls of VMI's
> interface in this area, which tries to recycle existing architectural
> interrupt sources for hypervisor timers, and gets into a bit of mess.
> Xen is relatively clean, but I'm not sure how it would fit into the
> mostly-emulated kvm model.  If you keep things simple, most of the Xen
> clockevent code could be reused with little change.

I think it should work out well.  Thanks for the feedback!