On 7/21/07 11:54 AM, "Anthony Liguori" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> David Windsor wrote:

>>> I guess modifying qemu makes sense if the modification gives you *more*
>>> permissions.
>>>
>>> i.e. you start out just with the ability to access the disk image, and
>>> then you transition to a new domain that allows you to access some network.
>>>

>>> Is that what is intended here?
>>>

>> The intent here is to provide some mechanism for a policy-driven transition
>> to occur when loading a virtual disk.  So, an administrator would write
>> policy for say, a topsecret_vm_t domain, in which the top secret VM can run.
>> All access requests from this VM would have a source type of topsecret_vm_t
>> on the host machine.  The virtual disk, labeled perhaps as topsecret_disk_t,
>> would need to be authorized in policy to be an entrypoint into the
>> topsecret_vm_t domain.  This patch proposes a mechanism that allows us to
>> provide policy driven controls both over which files can be used as a disk
>> image, and to which domain a qemu process will transition after loading the
>> disk image.
>>

> Can you already write an selinux policy that changes the label of a
> process when it open()s a different file?

Yes, technically a process can change its context without executing execve.
However, this is generally considered to be bad from a security perspective,
as domain transitions should always occur at the boundary of an execve,
because of the environmental cleansing that occurs as a result of executing
a new binary.  This type of behavior, the changing of a process' security
context outside of an execve, is called a dynamic transition and violates
various useful security properties, namely label tranquility.  See
http://beyondabstraction.net/2006/04/06/the-environment-environmental-contam
ination-and-selinux-part-1 for more information about how SELinux and the
linux environment interact.