Gregory Haskins wrote:

>>> Hmm..well, you still have pointers.  The advantage is that they are
>>> implicitly maintained, but now you have to do pointer arithmetic to
>>> compute it. :(  I personally would probably rather have the explicit
>>> management code than the run-time overhead....
>>>

>> Well, the pointer arithmetic consists of adding or subtracting zero,
>> which gcc luckily knows how to deal with.
>>

> Ah....i see.  The trick is that we make it the first field.  Clever!

Even if it isn't the first field, it's worthwhile.

>> It's the equivalent of C++ inheritance; no overhead at all.
>>

> You mean non-virtuals, right ;)

Yeah, plain old derived classes but with verbose syntax.

>> Paul Turner did something much like yours,
>>

> Ah, wasn't aware, thanks.  What is the status?  I guess I came this far,
> so I will make the final change and you can take it or leave it at your
> discretion.  The important thing is to get this cleaned up more than who
> did it, IMO.

Sure.  I'm going to take the first patch that's clean enough.  So far
this is yours except for that pointer thing, which looks like it depends
on per-arch allocation, which conflicts with the vcpu array work.