Yeah, i did look at libvirt and it remains an option. Originally this
was all going to be built around xen (I got xen running on two servers
and had it changing the number of cpu's in a pv host on the fly as well
as live-migrate guests and went oooooo). But then kvm got merged and so
i went thru a phase of trying to decide which would be better suited to
my little project. Around the same time frame, f7 came out and i had a
good play with virt manager (as well as a few other things like the qemu
virtualpc for webmin plugin). Libvirt was right after that and i wrote a
bit of test code to see what i could do with it mostly because it solved
part of the equation. After much agonizing though i settled on native
kvm/qemu mostly for simplicity and its ability to run non-modified
guests on non-hardware virt capable cpus.