Thanks for response Wes. I have a windows xp running under kvm without using
any -net parameters ( I remember reading that -net user is default  ) and it
works  "out of the box". I had assumed that it would be same for windows
2003 server apart from  the fact that the kvm wiki website says specifically
that rtl8139 must be used as network driver for this OS. I did consider
scanning through qemu forums before posting this question but I wanted to
make sure there was no special case behaviour for this OS as my windows xp
works.