Avi Kivity wrote:
>> In native, RESET signal force every processor enter "RESET" status,
>> and then immediately after RESET signal is removed, all CPUs will
>> compete for BSP role, the winner continue execution, and failor will
>> be blocked till INIT/SIPI/SIPI.
>>

> I meant, you could set both to VCPU_MP_STATE_UNINITIALIZED and let the
> vcpu code do the reset differently depending on vcpu_id.  This way you
> don't run into locking issues (kvm_lapic_reset() needs the vcpu lock?)

If BSP mp_state becomes VCPU_MP_STATE_UNINITIALIZED, current code
can't wakeup it. We need additional code that I am not aware of now.

Current VCPU must be BSP, otherwise the code executing in Qemu will have
problem too.

>> For a graceful reboot, this one is not needed since every APs are
>> already brought to HALT status before BSP issue RESET signal. But in
>> case of non-graceful reboot, it is possible the VCPUs are still
>> executing guest instruction, so we kick the VCPU and then use this
>> logic to force the exception handler to be a heavy VM Exit and
>> execute following code at beginning of kvm_vcpu_ioctl_run. (Let
>> VCPU_MP_STATE_UNINITIALIZED take effective)
>>
>>         if (unlikely(vcpu->mp_state ==
> VCPU_MP_STATE_UNINITIALIZED)) {
>>                 if (irqchip_in_kernel(vcpu->kvm) && vcpu->apic)
>>                         kvm_lapic_reset(vcpu);
>>                 kvm_vcpu_block(vcpu);
>>                 vcpu_put(vcpu);
>>                 return -EAGAIN;
>>         }
>>
>> Whether we need to handle those un-graceful reboot case is up to you
>> :-) If not, then those code can be removed.
>>

> We do need to support ungraceful resets.  But this could
> easily be done
> via vcpu->requests.

Mmm, almost Yes, then it is same with force_to_quit.
But reset doesn't mean lapic_reset only, it needs to
enter wait for INIT/SIPI cycles. So using mp_state is
much closer.

> To reset a vcpu:
>
>    set_bit(KVM_REQ_RESET, &vcpu->requests)
>    kvm_vcpu_kick(vcpu);
>
> And in __vcpu_run():
>
>   if (vcpu_requests) {
>         if (test_and_reset_bit(KVM_REQ_RESET, &vcpu->requests))
>   .... }
>

>> Mmm, I will move this to be after VCPU reset.
>> If a VCPU is still accessing (write)  devices register, we always
>> have problem. So move after all the processors enetring frozen state
>> will be simple and safer.
>>
>> Any opnion? Will post after your new comments.
>>

> Sounds good.  But the BSP starts executing immediately, no?

Yes, BSP will continue. current VCPU=BSP.

> So maybe two stages for vcpu reset:  first to reset and halt it, then
> start it.  pic and ioapic reset can be performed in between.

thx,eddie