Avi Kivity wrote:

>>> These are the (4, 1, 8, 4) values in the call to
>>> mmu_topup_memory_cache.  Perhaps one of them is too low.
>>
>> Sure.  Would this be affected at all by your tpr patch?
>
> I believe not, but the code doesn't care what I believe.
>
>> IIUC, if this is the problem, it should be reproducible with the
>> latest git too?
>
> One difference is that the tpr patch disables nx.  That causes Windows
> to go into 32-bit paging mode (nice that it has both pae and nonpae in
> the same kernel), which may change things.
>
> You can try booting your host with nx disabled to get the same effect
> (or disable nx cpuid in kvm).

I've disabled NX in KVM and that didn't reproduce the issue in the
current git.

If I double all of the memory caches, I can't seem to reproduce.
However, as soon as I reduce rmap_desc_cache down to 1, I can reproduce.

I'll try to see if just setting the rmap_desc_cache line to 2 is enough
to make the problem go away.

How can the guest provoke this BUG() based on the cache size?  Should
the cache size only affect performance?