Anthony Liguori wrote:

>>> More than just that.  By stick to PIO, we are compatible with just
>>> about any VMM.  For instance, we get Xen support for free.  If we
>>> used hypercalls, even if we agreed on a way to determine which
>>> number to use and how to make those calls, it would still be
>>> difficult to implement in something like Xen.
>>>

>> But pio through the config space basically means you're committed to
>> handling it in qemu.  We want a more flexible mechanism.
>
> There's no reason that the PIO operations couldn't be handled in the
> kernel.  You'll already need some level of cooperation in userspace
> unless you plan on implementing the PCI bus in kernel space too.  It's
> easy enough in the pci_map function in QEMU to just notify the kernel
> that it should listen on a particular PIO range.

With my new  understanding of what this is all about, I suggest each
virtqueue having an ID filled in by the host.  This ID is globally
unique, and is used as an argument for kick.  It would map into a Xen
domain id + event channel number, a number to be written into a pio port
for kvm-lite or non-hypercall kvm, the argument for a kick hypercall on
kvm, or whatever.

This is independent of virtio-pci, which is good.