Caleb Moore wrote:
On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 18:46 +0200, Ghiora Drori wrote:
Hi,
I am interested in supporting NVDIA, ATI, Intel and presumably other display cards when running a windows guest KVM. The idea is to get Windows XP games to work properly under kvm when being hosted by Linux. The screen on Linux can have more then one X windows server running on
different TTYs and it looks (I have not checked the code) like each is
running separately (aka there is a store and initialize when switching
between them) so when a kvm guest would get such a screen it would
have direct access to the display hardware. I searched Google but did not find anything significant. Any ideas where to start?

For that it would probably be simplest to allow the VMM to write to the
AGP/PCIe device.

An graphics card hardware interface consists of two parts, a normal PCI
device and a GART. The PCI interface is pretty simple, it's just a table
containing useful information about memory regions, IRQs and IOports
that the device will read/write to. You'll need to make an emulated PCI
device that will map in real regions of the physical address space into
the virtual machine. The GART is a little bit more complex, it will
require a virtualised GART driver for your guest kernel that requests
memory regions from the host kernel's GART interface, puts them in the
guests address space and returns their addresses to the guest kernel.

I hope that helps.

Some of the work was released already by us and some will be released soon:
If you have 1-1 mapping between the guest addresses and the host you solve the gart mapping:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/10/21/125.
We also released pci passthrough and irq forwarding for qemu/kvm.
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.kvm.devel/cutoff=9470
Together you can make it work (we have a passthrough NIC working).
Dor.