Greetings Honorable KVM Devs!

I am doing research on the performance characteristics of the Intel VMX
instructions, specifically with respect to KVM. I need to count the cycles
for a VMENTER and VMEXIT instruction under various conditions. (But getting
it to work at all would be cool :)

So the idea is to drop the cycle count in a register from the VMM, force a
VMENTER, drop the count in a different register, and force a VMEXIT. Then
get a last count and do appropriate adding/subtracting.
I'm working with a 2.6.22.6 vanilla kernel on an Core2Duo with KVM-54.

Questions:
 Is there a better way to get these numbers?
 If not, where in the KVM source should I aim to put these instructions
(file/line number/general area)?
 Any tips on forcing a vmexit out of the guest immediately after the count?

Thank you so much for your time.
  :dan