On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 07:30:44PM +0000, Antoine Martin wrote:
> Avi Kivity wrote:
> > Antoine Martin wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Trying to boot KVM on a Core2Duo system, kvm-59 + linux-2.6.23.12
> >> Booting with:
> >> qemu-system-x86_64 -hda /home/uml/BusyBox-1.5.0-amd64-root_fs -m 384
> >> - -nographic -cpu qemu64 -kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.12 -append
> >> "earlyprintk=serial,ttyS0,115200"
> >>

> > Does regular boot (without -kernel) work?
> >
> Nope, it's just spinning at 100% cpu, tried stock 2.6.23.12 and
> 2.6.24-rc6, lots of clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC,...

this is a big guess as I have no way to test it or know the internals well
enough to come with an authoritative answer, but I remember having a similar
problem once which was fixed by using the kernel option "nolapic"

> Do I need to enable/disable some RTC / HPET options?

there used to be a bug about it before which was closed by the reported
even though I was able to reproduce it after all (haven't looked since) and it
was related to the use of CONFIG_HPET_EMULATE_RTC=y in the guest kernel.

sorry for not giving you any hard evidence, but I am just going from memory
here and though I would mention it just in case it could help.

Carlo