Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

>> This is arch independent code, I'm surprised mmu_lock is visible here?
>>

> The mmu_lock is arch independent as far as I can tell. Pretty much
> like the mm->page_table_lock is also independent. All archs will have
> some form of shadow pagetables in software or hardware, and mmu_lock
> is the lock to take to serialize the pagetable updates and it also
> allows to walk the memslots in readonly mode.

Well, s390 has everything in hardware, but I suppose they can just
ignore the lock.

>> What are the new lookup rules?  We don't hold mmu_lock everywhere we look
>> up a gfn, do we?
>>

> It's safe to loop over the memslots by just skipping the ones with
> userland_addr == 0 by only holding the mmu_lock. The memslots contents
> can't change by holding the mmu_lock. The mmu_lock also serializes the
> rmap structures inside the memslot and the spte updates. So by just
> taking the mmu_lock it's trivial to do "search memslot", "translate
> the hva to its relative rmapp", "find all sptes relative to the hva
> and overwrite them with nonpresent-fault".

But we lookup memslots in parallel in the guest walker and similar
places, relying on mmap_sem being taken for read.

Maybe we need a rwlock instead, and drop this overloaded usage of mmap_sem.

> If the mmu_notifiers would have been registered inside the vma things
> would look very different in this area and it might have been possible
> to embed the mmu-notifier inside the memslot itself, to avoid the
> "search memslot" op.

Nothing guarantees a 1:1 mapping between memslots and vma.  You can have
a vma backing multiple memslots, or a memslot spanning multiple vmas.