Michael Tokarev wrote:
> Amit Shah wrote:
>
>> On Friday 01 February 2008 13:30:03 Michael Tokarev wrote:
[]
>>> With 2.6.23 and vanilla kvm modules, while from X, it opens the
>>> "virtual console" (an X window), but that console is entirely
>>> empty (black), and nothing more happens.  I can Ctrl+C the original
>>> process, but nothing more.
>>>
>>> With 2.6.23+modules-59, and with vanilla 2.6.24, it again opens
>>> the window, and the HOST machine immediately reboots (goes into
>>> BIOS Post screen).
>>>
>>> When not loading kvm modules, it works in all 3 cases.
>>>
>>> Where to look at to debug it further?
>> Can you check if you have any BIOS updates? This seems like BIOS support for
>> SVM might be half-baked.
>
> Well..  I tried it on 2 different motherboards with 2 different
> CPUs (in all 4 permutations):
>
> Biostar TA690G-AM2 - AMD690G chipset, latest BIOS (dated 09-2007)
> ASUS M2NPV-VM - Geforce6150/Nforce430(?) (MCP51), latest BIOS (dated 11-2007)

Ok, I finally got it working.

The problem was 32/64 bits issue.  I'm so used to 64bits kernel and 32bits
userland - not a single thought occured to me that this might be problematic
of some sort.  I was always trying 32bits kvm usermode tools with 64bits
kernels.  Now I booted a 32bits kernel, and it finally worked.  Oh well.

/mjt