On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 10:47 +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
> Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 08:58 +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
> >
> >> It'll need to be built against your kernel tree; please provide a URL.
> >>

> > curl http://penguinppc.org/~hollisb/kvm/kvm-powerpc.mbox | git-am
>
> Unfortunately I wasn't able to get an F8 ppc rescue cd ISO to boot with
> qemu 0.9.0.  Can you point me to a working combination?

It's difficult to get anything booting with upstream PowerPC qemu,
mostly because of the unmaintained firmware they use (called Open
Hackware).

That said, upstream qemu does not support 440 cores, which is what our
KVM work is targeting. Also, Fedora 8 doesn't either, though it may be
possible to get F8 working by providing your own kernel and some small
configuration tweaks (inittab, securetty).

There are other distributions that will work with little to no tweaking
for 440, but until we can get IO (other than console) working we have
been using very simple root filesystems.

However, none of these will be useful to you in KVM unless you have a
440 host to run them on.

Originally you said you just need a kernel tree to build against. Can
you elaborate on what you're trying to do now?

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center