Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> I thought about doing that (gets rid of the 4GB+ special casing) but we
> lose the ability to compact smaller allocations in a single largepage.
>
> Right now the VGA BIOS and the BIOS fit in the same largepage, for
> example.

Ah, good point.  I was actually talking about doing this adjustment for
ram regardless of whether we're using large pages--not necessarily for
all memory allocations.  I saw no harm in doing this alignment even if
we were using tmpfs and just getting 4k pages.  Of course, I think we're
in agreement here though :-)

> I like the idea. I'll change "-hugetlb-path" to "-mem-path" for now (and
> test it with tmpfs). Not so fond of hardcoding a path in QEMU though.

If we had a unified tmpfs/hugetlbfs, I think it would make a lot of
sense.  I think I need to ask around though first and see how reasonable
that is.