I've run a lot more tests:

- with the -no-kvm-irqchip option the vm eventully stops responding to network
or console,

- with the -no-kvm option the performance is so bad I cannot get our ap up and
running so the results are inconclusive,

- I've tried the e1000 and pcnet nic models and both showed the network lockup;
with the ne2k_pci nic I did not see dropped packets and the network never locked
up in 12+ hours, but system CPU time was 10% higher than when the rtl8139 nic
was working

- if I remove the "if (!change) return" optimization from pci_set_irq the
rtl8139 nic worked fine for 16+ hours. I'm not recommending this as a fix, just
confirming that the problem goes away.

- I tried adding a thread mutex to the rtl8139 device model around accesses to
the RTL8139State data, but the network still locked up.

david