Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Cam Macdonell wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is it possible to share a memory (a page perhaps) between the host and
>> guest?
>
> Yes, the host always has access to all of the guests memory.  All of the
> virtio drivers depend on this fact.  With KVM, the userspace (in this
> case, QEMU), just tells the kernel about a virtual address region and
> the kernel uses that region of virtual memory for the guest's physical
> memory.  Whatever you (as userspace) maps into that region is totally up
> to you.
>
>>   More precisely, could a host and guest share a memory-mapped file?
>
> It will be a lot easier once we have MMU notifiers upstream.  You'll be
> able to simply mmap(MAP_FIXED) a file into the guest's physical address
> space even while it's running.  For now, you have to setup these
> mappings before the VM starts.
>
>>   If one were crazy enough to want to do this, where should they look
>> first?
>>

> If you look at the -mem-file implementation in the latest git, you'll
> see that all the guest's memory can be an mmap()'d file.

Hi Anthony,

In setting up the guest memory to share a page, I need to make the
kernel aware of that page.  Is the best way to do this through a little
virtio-like PCI device or is there an easier to get dynamic info into
the guest kernel?

Also, is the mem-file implementation in a specific branch of the latest
GIT or is it within the main branch somewhere, I've been unable to find it?

Thanks a bunch,
Cam