Avi Kivity wrote:
> David Abrahams wrote:
>> on Wed Apr 02 2008, Avi Kivity <avi-AT-qumranet.com> wrote:

>>> Can you send the output of 'kvm_stat -1'?
>>
>> $ ./kvm_stat -1
>> exits                    5919444     74219
>> halt_exits               1746937     59420
>> invlpg                         0         0
>> io_exits                 2181506      6569
>> irq_exits                  23055       335
>> irq_window                  2839        77
>> mmio_exits                200851         0
>> pf_fixed                 1160592      6251
>> pf_guest                   43473       396
>> request_irq                    0         0
>> signal_exits               24838       281
>> tlb_flush                  37381      1132
>>

> Versions of kvm producing this sort of output are common in
> archaeological digs.  Please try a more recent release.

Well, I'll try Hardy Heron soon enough, I suppose.  It's due out in 2
weeks.

I'm sure you understand that most people can't afford to rebuild all
their important software so that it stays on the bleeding edge.  Have
you considered getting more recent versions of kvm into the updates or
backports repositories of major distros?  I'm not really sure how much
influence you can have over such things; I'm just asking.

>>> What HAL do you see in device manager?
>>>
>> "Standard PC"
>>

> This HAL does not support SMP.  You need the "ACPI Multiprocessor PC"
> HAL or some such.

And how would I get that HAL set up?

> Unless you have a recent Intel processor, the combination of SMP and
> Windows XP will give noticeably lower performance.  I recommend sticking
> with uniprocessor in such cases.

I have a Core Duo; isn't that recent enough?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting