Blue Swirl wrote:

> I fixed the bug, now pcnet works. Performance is improved by a few
> percent. The problem was that the vector was not freed. Maybe dynamic
> allocation is a bit fragile. In this case, the length of the vector is
> known, so it could be allocated once at init time. But would this
> work?

For you, yes, but not for me.  virtio scatter/gather lists can be very
long.  The API tries not to make assumptions about who's allocating what
so you should be able to get away without a dynamic allocation if you
were sufficiently motivated.

> The next step would be to add a vector version for packet receive. For
> ESP/SCSI, in addition to bdrv_readv/writev, AIO versions would need to
> be added. Last year I made a patch (attached) that made SLIRP use my
> version of IOVector, I could update it to this model.

Yes, the vector version of packet receive is tough.  I'll take a look at
your patch.  Basically, you need to associate a set of RX vectors with
each VLANClientState and then when it comes time to deliver a packet to
the VLAN, before calling fd_read, see if there is an RX vector available
for the client.

In the case of tap, I want to optimize further and do the initial
readv() to one of the clients RX buffers and then copy that RX buffer to
the rest of the clients if necessary.