On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 05:51:51PM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
> Anthony Liguori wrote:
> > Avi Kivity wrote:

> >> Does this play well with hotplug?  Perhaps we need to allocate a new
> >> device on hotplug.
> >>

> > Probably not.  I imagine you can only hotplug devices, not individual
> > functions?
> >

> It sounds reasonable to expect so.  ACPI has objects for devices, not
> functions (IIRC).

So what I dislike about multifunction devices is the fact that a single
slot shares an IRQ, and that special code is required in the QEMU
drivers (virtio guest capability might not always be present).

I don't see any need for using them if we can extend PCI slots...

> Maybe require explicit device/function assignment on the command line?
> It will be managed anyway.

ACPI does support hotplugging of individual functions inside slots,
not sure how well does Linux (and other OSes) support that.. should be
transparent though.