* On Wednesday 23 Apr 2008 05:20:03 Stuart Sheldon wrote:
> I've looked around but can't seem to find these answers.
>
> I'm using KVM to run multiple servers on the same hardware, but it seems
> that most of the documentation written is for desktop use.
>
> I'm currently running KVM-66 on a 2.6.24.4 kernel and using the KVM
> provided modules. This is sitting on a Debian Lenny install with Intel
> hardware.
>
> Here are my questions:
>
> 1) Is there a way to give one virtual host priority over another? Would
> I just add -cpu 2 on the host I want to give priority?

Renicing the guest you want to give more priority to is a straightforward way
of boosting the priority. It's easy to imagine that, since each guest is just
a process on the host.

> 2) When I started writing the management scripts to start and stop the
> guests from the command line, I was using KVM-63 which allowed me to
> send a "system_powerdown" to the console, this would send a PWR to the
> guest's acpid that would bring the guest down gracefully. This stopped
> working in kvm-64 and is still not working in kvm-66. Is there a better
> way to do this? How can the host bring down a guest without messing with
> it's open programs?

I've no clue about this one; will let someone else answer it.

> 3) Are there any statistics available from to the host os that can be
> monitored, such as something in /sys or /proc?

Can you mention what kinds of stats you're looking for? Since each guest is a
normal process, a lot of information can be already examined by ps, top
and /proc/<pid>/...

There also is the kvm_stat that comes with the kvm-userspace which lets you
monitor guest exits into the host. Those are mainly for debugging purposes
though.