Laurent Vivier wrote:
> Le mercredi 23 avril 2008 à 17:05 +0300, Avi Kivity a écrit :
>
>> Laurent Vivier wrote:
>>
>>> These two patches allow to batch writes to MMIO.
>>>
>>> When kernel has to send MMIO writes to userspace, it stores them
>>> in memory until it has to pass the hand to userspace for another
>>> reason. This avoids to have too many context switches on operations
>>> that can wait.
>>>

>> Did you obtain any measurable performance benefit?
>>

> Well, the problem is how to measure it. Really, I don't know.
>
> But when I add traces I saw MMIO writes are batched: by group of 170
> (this is the max in a page) at the beginning,

That's the lovely animation. You can time XP startup, or look at system
time in 'top' once it stabilizes.  Also compare total host_state_reloads
to boot in kvm_stat (each costs 5 usec, after discount).

>  and by group of 10 with XP
> when we move a window.

That's probably programming the cirrus blitter, also a candidate for
batching, but probably not measurable.  Maybe one of those Windows
graphics benchmarks which draw tons of rectangles very fast and cause
epilepsy seizures.

I guess most interesting is e1000, if we need to do more than one mmio
to start transmitting.

--
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to
panic.