On Wednesday 23 April 2008 01:05:50 am Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> Do not start MAC address with 00: 01: or FF:
> Those are illegal addresses.
>
> Try 50: or 52: or something....

Thanks for the tip.  I tried those but the same problem persisted.  As I
played around with several MAC addresses (even trying to set several
Intel OUI's and the OUI's of several Dell servers I have with e1000
cards and the problem didn't go away.  However, I noticed the the
problems are with the last 4 bytes of the MAC address.  The first 2 are
always what I set them to, while the last 6 are always FF:FF:FF:FF.  I
don't know if the problem lies in the Windows driver looking for a
specific third byte in the MAC (still part of the OUI), or with the way
Windows extracts the MAC address out of the emulated hardware.  It's
odd that Linux doesn't suffer the same problem, however.

Just to cure my ignorance, I know why 01: and FF: are wrong (broadcast
and multicast).  However, why is 00 wrong?  All nic's I have start with
00 and the current list of OUI's from IEEE shows that 00:Fx is unused
(hence my choice of 00:FF).  Is there a specific OUI we should be using
for Qemu/KVM?

--
Alberto Treviño
[EMAIL PROTECTED]