Ryan Harper wrote:
> * Anthony Liguori <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-05-12 15:05]:
>
>> Ryan Harper wrote:
>>
>>> I've been digging into some of the instability we see when running
>>> larger numbers of guests at the same time.  The test I'm currently using
>>> involves launching 64 1vcpu guests on an 8-way AMD box.
>>>
>> Note this is a Barcelona system and therefore should have a
>> fixed-frequency TSC.
>>

>>>  With the latest
>>> kvm-userspace git and kvm.git + Gerd's kvmclock fixes, I can launch all
>>> 64 of these 1 second apart,
>>>
>> BTW, what if you don't pace-out the startups?  Do we still have issues
>> with that?
>>

> Do you mean without the 1 second delay or with a longer delay?  My
> experience is that delay helps (fewer hangs), but doesn't solve things
> completely.

So you see problems when using numactrl to pin and using a 0-second
delay?  The short delay may help reduce the number of CPU migrations
which would explain your observation.

If there are problems when doing a 0-second delay and numactl, then
perhaps it's not just a cpu-migration issue.

> In svm.c, I do think we account for most of that time since the delta
> calculation will shift the guest time forward to the tsc value read in
> svm_vcpu_load().  We'll still miss the time between fixing the offset
> and when the guest can actually read its tsc.

Yes, which is the duration that the guest isn't scheduled on any
processor and the next time it runs happens to be on a different process.

>> A possible way to fix this (that's only valid on a processor with a
>> fixed-frequency TSC), is to take a high-res timestamp on vcpu_put, and
>> then on vcpu_load, take the delta timestamp since the old TSC was saved,
>> and use the TSC frequency on the new pcpu to calculate the number of
>> elapsed cycles.
>>
>> Assuming a fixed frequency TSC, and a calibrated TSC across all
>> processors, you could get the same affects by using the VT tsc delta
>> logic.  Basically, it always uses the new CPU's TSC unless that would
>> cause the guest to move backwards in time.  As long as you have a
>> stable, calibrated TSC, this would work out.
>>
>> Can you try your old patch that did this and see if it fixes the problem?
>>

> Yeah, I'll give it a spin.

Thanks,