Guest 8544 is just a name of e500 VM.
Actually it hasn't implement most of 8544's devices and it can have
device which real 8544 doesn't have.
I once had named it to be 85xx...

The reason I chose 8544 as it's name is that the e500 kvm is first
developed on 8544 board
and 8544 has pci controller which virtual devices in qemu only connect
with...

So if that name dosen't bother you, you can just add the device you want
to support into the guest 8544.

> Since KVM supports a NetBSD 4.0  guest (I
> think) and 8544/e500 emulation is already present in qemu --
> theoretically the first part should work...but I recall Liu
> mentioning that there might be some OS specific quirks
> present in the port...and that was what I my question was
> hinting at earlier..

There must be a lot of differences between Linux and NetBSD.
So the design of kvmppc may not be careful considerate.

The main trick is to hijack the system interrupts.
You should check if this part of code cater to NetBSD.
Context switch needs to be taken care as well.

At least there is one thing I can point out.
See comments in the file booke_interrupts.S  line 195. :-)