On 11.11.2009, at 02:03, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

+       li      r4,0
        mfspr   r5,SPRN_HID5

r5 = *HID5

So far so good...

-       rldimi  r5,r5,6,56

Take r5, remove some bits, write into r5

Hrm... nope :-)

rldimi will insert into the destination (r5) bits 56..57
the corresponding bits from the source (r5) after that source has been
rotated left by 6 bits.

That means inserting the 2 low bits of r5 into r5[56:57] afaik :-)

+       rldimi  r5,r4,6,56

Take r4, remove some bits, write into r5.

My variant will insert the bits from r4 which is 0, means it's going to
insert 0's in r5[56:57] which is what you want (clear the two dcbz
special bits) right ?

Or did I miss anything?

I think you did :-)

Wow, and there I thought I finally mastered the rotate instructions :-).

Alex