> > > What about using the ehpriv instruction (defined in 2.06)?
> > > We could define a unique "qemu software breakpoint", and the
> > > hypervisor's ehpriv handler will be able to easily distinguish
them.

> > > On e500v2, this would be an illegal instruction.
> > >
> > > We don't need to worry about a conflict with future opcodes and it
> > > seems like the whole point of ehpriv being defined-- to let a
> > > hypervisor define special opcodes for stuff like this.
> >
> > Yes, it even states so in the little box below the description. Very
> > good catch!
> >
> > > If we use trap, we will need the list of patched IPs in
> > > the kernel.   ehpriv avoids the need for that.
> >
> > Well, the way it's handled on x86 now is that the kernel asks user
> > space if it knows about the breakpoint and if not user space
reinjects
> > the debug interrupt into the guest.
> >
> > Is there anything that ensures us BookS won't use 31/270?
>
> I will check with the Freescale instruction set architect.

Talked to the ISA architect and he says--- ...In general the
architecture
will not overlay opcodes until all the opcode space has been exhausted,
and even then its probably not likely.

So, it seems highly unlikely that the 31/270 will ever be used for
something else.

So, it sounds like ehpriv is the way to go.

Stuart