On 12/14/2010 12:48 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
On 12/13/2010 07:17 PM, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
Rewriting is dangerous if the guest is unaware of it. As soon as it is made aware of it, it might as well actually do it in the best way that suits it.

Can you list some examples of dangerous scenarios?

Perhaps I should rephrase... any real-world dangerous scenarios? :) I was hoping you could share some traps you've hit with Linux or Windows on x86.
- guest checksums own kernel pages
For runtime intrusion detection? Such guests can simply not ask the hypervisor to enable the rewriting feature.
- clever compiler reuses code for constant pool
Not sure what you mean here. Anyways I think clever compilers are irrelevant, since a compiler will not ordinarily emit a supervisor-mode instruction. The hypervisor has no need to patch normal user-mode instructions.
- guest patches itself (a la linux alternatives), surprised when it sees a different instruction
PowerPC Linux does patch itself, which is a write-only operation.
- guest jits own kernel code (like Singularity), gets confused when it reads back something it didn't write
This is getting really hypothetical, but why would a JIT need to read the generated code?

Hollis Blanchard
Mentor Graphics, Embedded Systems Division