On 11/01/2011 06:16 PM, Scott Wood wrote:

> > sizeof(struct kvm_tlb_dirty) == 12 for 32-bit userspace, but ==  16 for
> > 64-bit userspace and the kernel.  ABI structures must have the same
> > alignment and size for 32/64 bit userspace, or they need compat handling.
>
> The size is 16 on 32-bit ppc -- the alignment of __u64 forces this.  It
> looks like this is different in the 32x86 ABI.

Right, __u64 alignment on i386 is 4.

> We can pad explicitly if you prefer.

No real need - unless it may be reused by another arch?  I think that's
unlikely.

> >> This API has been discussed extensively, and the code using it is
> >> already in mainline QEMU.  This aspect of it hasn't changed since the
> >> discussion back in February:
> >>
> >> http://www.spinics.net/lists/kvm/msg50102.html
> >>
> >> I'd prefer to avoid another round of major overhaul without a really
> >> good reason.
> >
> > Me too, but I also prefer not to make ABI choices by inertia.  ABI is
> > practically the only thing I care about wrt non-x86 (other than
> > whitespace, of course).  Please involve me in the discussions earlier in
> > the future.
>
> You participated in that thread. :-)

Well, my memory isn't what it used to be, or at least what I seem to
remember it used to be.

> >> These are the assumptions needed to make such an interface well-defined.
> >
> > Just remarking on the complexity, don't take it personally.
>
> :-)
>
> Just wasn't sure whether the implication was that it was too complex.

It is too complex, but that's entirely the fault of the hardware.  All
we can do is complain and enjoy the guaranteed job security.