On 07.08.2012, at 15:58, Avi Kivity <a...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 08/07/2012 04:44 PM, Alexander Graf wrote:
>>

>>> Is this the correct place?  Who says the caller of hva_to_pfn() is going
>>> to map it?
>>
>> I don't think anyone is. However, we need the struct page, and all the
>> generic kvm mm code tries hard to hide it from its users. The alternative
>> would be to expose all those details, and I'm not sure that's a good idea.
>>
>> Essentially, we don't care if we're overly cautious. Clearing one page too
>> much is way better than clearing one too few.
>
> Are you sure everyone uses hva_to_pfn()?  x86 uses gfn_to_hva_many(), in
> one place.

Nope, I only checked that e500 adheres to that flow so far. I'm not even 100%
sure that book3s is always happy yet.

But I figured this is a step in the right direction. If we missed out on one,
we can always add it later. The many function is a good spot. Maybe I'll just
ckeck up all of kvm_main.c again for potential users.

Alex