On 14.03.2013, at 23:02, Paul Mackerras wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 01:15:35PM -0500, Scott Wood wrote:
>> On 03/13/2013 08:26:20 PM, Paul Mackerras wrote:
>
>>> I arbitrarily
>>> assigned 0x58494353 for KVM_CAP_IRQ_XICS as the args[0] value to
>>> indicate XICS.
>>
>> Why is it called KVM_CAP_<whatever> if it's not a capability?
>
> Because it's associated with a capability.  I'm not wedded to the name.
>
>>> I think it would be better if we don't have to get a
>>> new capability number assigned every time we want to add a new type of
>>> interrupt controller.
>>
>> How often does it really happen?  If a simple enumeration is good
>> enough for identifying the main IRQ controller device type, it
>> should be good enough for identifying the vcpu irq arch.
>
> Whatever.  I really don't care at this point, I'm just getting
> extremely tired of the bikeshedding.  If you don't like it, propose
> something.

So far most comments I've seen haven't been bikeshedding, but each and every
one got us closer to something that we can hopefully rely on for the next few
years.

However, I agree. Scott, you seem to have a pretty good picture by now on how
this should look like. Could you please take this patch as a basis, make each
controller type its own CAP and have the enable_cap pass a token (fd) to the
interrupt controller the CPU should get connected to? I think we're getting
very close to having something that looks gorgeous.

Alex