On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:17:11PM -0500, Alexander Graf wrote:

> It means you can only choose between HV and PR machine wide, while with this
> patch set you give the user the flexibility to have HV and PR guests run in
> parallel.
>
> I know that Anthony doesn't believe it's a valid use case, but I like the
> flexible solution better. It does however male sense to enable a sysadmin to
> remove any PR functionality from the system by blocking that module.
>
> Can't we have both?

So, one suggestion (from Aneesh) is to use the 'type' argument to
kvm_arch_init_vm() to indicate whether we want a specific type of KVM
(PR or HV), or just the default.  Zero would mean default (fastest
available) whereas other values would indicate a specific choice of PR
or HV.  Then, if we build separate kvm_pr and kvm_hv modules when KVM
is configured to be a module, the sysadmin can control the default
choice by loading and unloading modules.

How does that sound?  Or would you prefer to stick with a single
module and have a module option to control the default choice?

Paul.