On Thursday 22 May 2008 09:34:08 Avi Kivity wrote:
> Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> > In addition to injecting debug interrupts, qemu should also be able to
inject
> > machine checks, for the case of undecoded MMIO accesses.
> >
> > As long as qemu can access the complete register state (e.g.
including "reason
> > for machine check" registers), I don't think the injection interface
*needs*
> > to be more complicated than "exception number".
[snip]

> In the mmio case, I think it makes more sense to have a 'mmio failed'
> flag, and kvm can generate and inject the exception.

OK, that sounds reasonable.

> We mostly try to keep cpu emulation outside userspace.

Except for this debug stuff? :)

> (of course, that depends on what happens on real hardware.  Is there a
> machine check pin?  or does the cpu generate the exception internally?)

There is a machine check pin, FWIW. It's the chipset (potentially several IO
bridges away) that discovers no device decoded the MMIO address, and
asynchronously notifies the core.

I'm happy with machine check as an "MMIO failed" flag, so I guess that leaves
us with a separate "inject debug event" ioctl.

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center