On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 09:07:49PM -0500, Javier Guerra Giraldez wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 June 2008, Freddie Cash wrote:
> > The script can be run as a normal user, as it will use sudo where
> > needed.  However, this causes all the VMs to be run as root (this is
> > developed on Debian where they've added that annoying "feature" of not
> > being able to create/use tun/tap devices as non-root users).  If
> > anyone knows how to unbreak Debian to allow non-root users to create
> > tun/tap devices, I'm all ears.
>
> change the group, owner, and/or privileges of /dev/net/tun, usually maneged
> by
> udev

This won't help with recent kernels as you need CAP_NET_ADMIN to create
a device.  I use tunctl which is part of uml-utilities in Debian to create
the network device and then pass it to qemu with ifname.

e.g

USER=kvm
NAME=test
IFACE=tap${NAME}
IFACE=$(sudo $TUNCTL -b -u $USER -t ${IFACE})
qemu-system-x86_64 ... -net tap,script=/etc/qemu-ifup,ifname=${IFACE}

bill
--
Bill Boughton