Bugs item #2005957, was opened at 2008-06-29 19:12
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=893831&aid=2005957&group_id=180599

not just the latest update.
Category: qemu
Group: None

Initial Comment:
System: Fedora 9
KVM version: tried 65 and 70, both exhibit the same behaviour

When using TAP networking if I copy a large file from host to guest OS, I get
extremely low performance (under 1 megabyte/s) and sometimes file transfer
stalls. If I run tcpdump in guest OS (even with a bogus filter - e.g. tcpdump
-nn -i eth0 host 1.2.3.4) the stalled connection suddenly come alive. If I run
repeatedly tcpdump/press Ctrl+C and so on, the file transfer visually goes much
faster.

I found a old thread about the same bug in QEMU:

The patch proposed there was applied in QEMU 0.7.3, but when I looked into QEMU
0.9.1 sources - it is not there, so it seems it was removed for some reason.
However, if I run the same virtual machine with QEMU, I get stable performance
with about 8-9 megabytes per second flowing both ways (from host to guest and
from guest to host).

I tried to apply the patch on KVM 70, but it does not make any difference :-(

The guest OS is Ubuntu 8.04 but I guess that does not matter.

I will be glad to cooperate to find/fix the bug but for now I'm out of ideas :-(