Christian Borntraeger wrote:
+#define LIBKVM_S390_ORIGIN (0UL)
Thought you got rid of that?

Sort of. We have the kernel code ready to move away the guest from address 0. To achieve that goal we use the offset and limit field in the control block. Thing is, on older models the offset and limit must be < 128GB. that means we still cannot use randomly allocated memory. LIBKVM_S390_ORIGIN=1M,2M or 16M would be perfectly fine, 2TB (typical malloc space) is not. Furthermore, this change is still in kvm.git, but not in Linus git. Therefore, we would like to keep the guest at 0 and fix that at a later time, ok?

Certainly. I suggest exposing this via a KVM_CAP_blah and adapting at runtime.

Placing the guest at offset zero is dangerous, since all a guest has to do is place a function at guest physical address zero and wait for a kernel bug that calls a null function pointer (at least, it would behave like that on x86, provided no-execute was disabled; it may well be that s390 has additional protection).