Ryan Harper wrote:
* Uri Lublin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-07-10 07:42]:
Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 01:16:13PM +0300, Uri Lublin wrote:

- As you mention, it should reuse the server/client model for running
 tests inside guests. I hacked up a "kvm_autotest" test that
 basically does:

tests = ["linus_stress", "bash_shared_mapping", "rmaptest", "tsc",
"scrashme", "isic", "sleeptest", "libhugetlbfs", "..."]

vm.ssh.scp_to_remote(autotest_tarball, '/root')
(s,o) = vm.ssh.ssh('tar zvxf kvm-autotest.tar.gz')
for i in range(0, len(tests)):
   (s,o) = vm.ssh.ssh('kvm-autotest/client/bin/autotest ' +
                      'kvm-autotest/client/tests/' + tests[i] +
                      '/control')
   print(o)

Which poorly replicates what the client/server infrastructure already
provides. IMO its a waste of time to write specialized client
tests (other than virt specific ones).

You see guests as clients and the host as the server.
We were thinking of the host as a client and multi-host operations to be done by a server. guest-operations would be done using ssh (for linux guests) as your example above. You make a good point that we can use server/client infrastructure for guest operations. As it is simpler to write autotest client tests, and we thought most of the tests would be run as client tests, we want to postpone the server tests and focus on adding tests and guests to the matrix.

It's definitely worth looking at the autotest server code/samples.
There exists code in-tree already to build an deploy kvm via autotest
server mode which a single machine can drive the building, installing,
creation of guests on N number of clients, directing each guest
image to run various autotest client tests, collecting all of the
results.

See autotest/server/samples/*kvm*

A proper server setup is a little involved[1] but much more streamlined
these days.

Let's think of a guest-installation test. Would you implement it on the server or on the client ?
What do you plan for non-linux guests ?

We'll try this little exercise of writing a kvm-test on the server side and on the client side and compare complexity.

Thanks,
Uri.