I am not sure if this is of interest to anybody, but I think there is a
bug in there somewhere :-).

I have the Squeezecenter software running in KVM. This is control software
for the dumb Squeezebox music streaming hardware. Any user action on the
Squeezebox requires a network roundtrip to the Squeezecenter server.

An issue I had was that the menus of the player would often be slow during
playback. Very very slow, with delays of several seconds. After much ado,
I finally figured out that this problem vanishes completely when I change
the KVM network card from e1000 to rtl8139. The KVM network is running on
a tap device.

The problem is only seen when music is streaming, during idle the response
is immediate. My initial diagnosis is that with moderate outbound traffic,
some incoming packets are lost. I have not investigated much after
discovering a fix, so I have no more details.

My normal KVM is from Ubuntu 8.04. I remembered the commit
87b5acf6125d205119e3194c02ed6e71715517dc but this does not seem to help,
as I verified the problem also with kvm-71.

Cheers,
Anders.