Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 01:56:12PM -0600, David S. Ahern wrote:
>> I've been running a series of tests on RHEL3, RHEL4, and RHEL5. The
>> short of it is that all of them keep time quite well with 1 vcpu. In the
>> case of RHEL3 and RHEL4 time is stable for *both* the uniprocessor and
>> smp kernels, again with only 1 vcpu (there's no up/smp distinction in
>> the kernels for RHEL5).
>>
>> As soon as the number of vcpus is >1, time drifts systematically with
>> the guest *leading* the host. I see this on unloaded guests and hosts
>> (ie., cpu usage on the host ~<5%). The drift is averaging around
>> 0.5%-0.6% (i.e., 5 seconds gained in the guest per 1000 seconds of real
>> wall time).
>>
>> This very reproducible. All I am doing is installing stock RHEL3.8, 4.4
>> and 5.2, i386 versions, starting them and watching the drift with no
>> time servers. In all of these recent cases the results are for in-kernel
>> pit.
>
> David,
>
> You mentioned earlier problems with ntpd syncing the guest time? Can you
> provide more details?

It would lose sync often, and 'ntpq -c pe' would show a '*' indicative
of a sync when in fact time in the guest was off by 5-10 seconds. It may
very well be a side effect of the drift due to repeated timer injection
of timer interrupts / lost interrupts.

With your PIT injection patches:

1. For a stock RHEL4.4 guest, ntpd synchronized quickly and saw no need
to adjust time after the initial startup tweak of 1.004620 sec by
ntpdate. After 40 hours it has maintained time very well with no
adjustments. Of course the guest is relatively idle -- it is only
keeping time.

2. For a stock RHEL3.8 guest, I cannot get ntpd to do anything. This
guest is running on the same host as the RHEL4 guest and using the same
time server. This guest has been around for a few weeks and has been
subjected to very tests -- like running with the no-kernel-pit and -tdf
options. In light of 3. below I'll re-create this guest and see if the
problem goes away.

3. For a RHEL3.8 guest running a Cisco product, ntpd was able to
synchonize just fine. We are running ntpd with different arguments;
however using the same syntax on the stock rhel3 guest did not help.

As for as time updates, over 21+ hours of uptime there have been 20 time
resets -- adjustments ranging from -1.01 seconds to +0.75 seconds. This
is a remarkable improvement. Before this PIT patch set I was seeing time
resets of 3-5 seconds every 15 minutes. This is a 2 vcpu guest running a
modest load (disk + network) that pushes cpu usage of ~25%. Point being
that the guest is keeping time reasonably well while do something
useful. :-)

I am planning to install 4 vcpu guests for both RHEL3 and RHEL4 today
and again with modest loads to see how it holds up.

> I find it _necessary_ to use the RR scheduling policy for any Linux
> guest running at static 1000Hz (no dynticks), otherwise timer interrupts
> will invariably be missed. And reinjection plus lost tick adjustment is
> always problematic (will drift either way, depending which version of
> Linux). With the standard batch scheduling policy _idle_ guests can wait
> to run upto 6/7 ms in my testing (thus 6/7 lost timer events). Which
> also means latency can be horrible.

Noted. I'd prefer not to start priority escalations, but if it's needed....

What about for the RHEL4.7 kernel running at 250 HZ? I understand it
with 4.7 you can pass a command line divider to run the clock at a
slower rate. In the past I've recompiled RHEL4 kernels to run at 250 HZ
which was a trade-off between too fast (overhead of timer interrupts)
and too slow (need for better scheduling latency).

david