> > BTW I tried using if=ide to install Windows XP and got a blue screen
 . > during the installer.  What are people doing to run XP in a kvm guest?

Funnily enough installing XP SP2 with if=ide worked fine on an Intel
host.  I notice that I left off -std-vga on the working install too (I
used it on the AMD host that blue-screened).

Anyway, just another data point.  Let me know if any other data would help.