On Friday 08 August 2008 08:18:26 pm jd wrote:
>   The /etc/qemu-if script seems to be taking the interface as a
> parameter, is there a way to pass the bridge name to the script as well.
> Thus from the command line one can pass the bridge that one whats to
> attach to. (One can potentially one script for each bridge and pass the
> script name to qemu... but it seems bit unnecessary.)

I name my tap devices (using ifname=...) as follows:

  tap.br0.05.1

where
  tap  -- this is a tap device
  br0  -- the name of the bridge
  05   -- the ID of the VM (each of my VM's has a unique numeric ID)
  1    -- The NIC # on the VM (1, 2, 3, or 4 depending on # of NIC's)

Then on my scripts I can extract the bridge name and use it.  This also has
the advantage of helping me know just by the name what bridge this devices
is hooked up to, what VM it belongs to, and which NIC it is inside the VM.